background

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade English Muffins


  • I **LOVE** english muffins for breakfast.  With the prices continuing to be on the rise and to pay $3 or more for a pack of six; I've taken matters into my own hands.  I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com (click the link for original recipe) but I adapted to work for me. :-)


  •   



Warm the 1 cup milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Be careful not to boil.  I tested it with the finger test (clean finger...almost too hot to put finger in it)


 Mix in the 2 Tablespoons sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. 


In a small bowl, dissolve 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture,melted butter and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth.

 Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. I only had to add an additional 2 cups.  The orginial added 3 cups.  The dough should be soft and pliable but not sticky. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise about 1 hour.


Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, or drinking glass. I used a cookie cutter that was about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.  Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.


Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. I put the muffins in for about 15 minutes at 200 to finish cooking on the inside!



Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. 

Homemade English Muffins makes approximately 12 (depends on size of muffin)


  • Ingredients you'll need
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • pinch of sugar

  • 1/4 cup melted butter (cooled)
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 cups of whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur)
  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • In a small bowl, dissolve 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

  • In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture,melted butter and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. I only had to add an additional 2 cups.  The orginial added 3 cups.  The dough should be soft and pliable but not sticky. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise about 1 hour.

  • Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, or drinking glass, I used one that was about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.  Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.

  • Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. I put the muffins in for about 15 minutes at 200 to finish cooking on the inside!

  • Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. 

  • Enjoy with butter, jam, cream cheese, slice of cheese, peanut butter.

  • Excuse me?? Do you know the muffin momma??  



1 comment:

  1. Great timing with this blog, I've been searching articles on how to select a proper coffee pots and then i found this.meet catering supplies.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I love to cook. It is my passion.