background

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Apple Crumb Pie


There is nothing more patriotic than Apple Pie.  


My mom used to make the BEST apple pie.  Her crusts were amazing.

I never got the hang of crust making.  It is my kryptonite.  Some times it turns out PERFECT...other times not so much.  I've used *gasp* store bought pie crust and made some pretty stellar pies...but I miss homemade crust. 

So today I searched and found a basic pie crust. Ready?

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    3 Tablespoons White Sugar
    1 teaspoon Salt
    2 Tablespoon milk
    1/2 cup melted butter, cooled

     Mix together the dry ingredients.  Slowly mix in the milk and then butter with a fork until dough forms a ball (I had to use the whole amount of butter because of the whole wheat flour.)
     I rolled out the dough gently with my rolling pin until it fit my pie pan. Since I made a "topping" for the pie, instead of a crust; I didn't make the crust go all the way up the sides of my pie pan.

I then chopped 5 medium apples. I was living the "high life" and actually bought 4 different kinds of apples to try!! I know...all fancy schmancy! But my genius is clouded by the fact that I didn't write down what kind they were.
     While fighting off hungry apple robbing children..I quicky cored, peeled and sliced the apples...all the while thinking to myself  "Man, I have to feed these kids more often!!"

Once you've made you apples pie worthy, mix the apples with:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Go ahead and put those beauties on top of your pie crust. (They are tasty little morsels)
For the Topping

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
     Mix together the dry ingredients and slowly add the butter.

     Most of the time I cut in the butter to my toppings.  This recipe didn't do that. I was game so I went for it.  It made the topping more like a cobbler than a crisp.  Still very tasty!
I didn't "sprinkle" the topping...I had to spoon blobs of it all over.   It actually made the pie look pretty.  Again more like a cobbler than a crisp.


  • Bake at 425 for 20 minutes with foil loosely over it.
  • Remove foil and bake at 375 for another 20-25 minutes.


For the next time I make this!  Once I put the apples in the pan, I will put/dab small pats of butter over them before adding the crumble.  The pie itself was dry (meaning I didn't pick out the right kinds of apples).  When I served a piece warm to my hubby...I drizzled a little flavored coffee creamer over the top to give it a little more moisture.  He gobbled it up so it must have tasted pretty good.  I have not had a piece yet...but as soon as I post this...I will!!

Happy Baking!!

Mandy


I'm linking to these awesome linky parties: 

What I Made! at Creations by Kara
Linking Party at Passionately Artistic
What's Cooking Wednesday at The King's Court IV
Mrs. Fox's Sweet Party #27 at Mrs. Fox's Sweets

Please stop by and find a plethora of great ideas!!  DIY! Cooking! Tips of all kinds!



1 comment:

About Me

My photo
I love to cook. It is my passion.