background

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Lightest Hamburger Buns You Will Ever Make!!!




I LOVE King Arthur Flour.  When I went on vacation to New England last year, we stopped by the store to check it out.  


Today I was planning on making burgers for my crew.  I found a recipe for hamburger buns on the website and just had to try them out.  They are SO light that I just about dropped them when I picked them up.  It would have been like a slapstick comedy episode, the girl picks up something light and flings it across the room because she expected a rock! Not only were they light...they were TASTY.

I did mine just a teeny bit different.  I didn't have instant yeast so I proofed the yeast with the water and sugar first and then added the other ingredients.

1 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast (1 packet)
I proofed in my stand mixer until bubbly and spongy looking. (about 5 minutes)

I then added:
2 tablespoons melted butter (cooled)
1 large egg (if you plan on using an egg wash for the tops to add seeds, save the egg white and add the extra yolk here)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

I used the paddle of my mixer until it was smooth and elastic.  It was a little bit sticky.  Sprinkling a little bit of flour on my board. I kneaded the bread for about 5 minutes.  The dough needs to be smooth.  I put it into an oiled bowl with a cover for about 90 minutes.  It was doubled in size.

Gently deflate the dough and divide into 8 pieces. (it depends on how big you want your rolls to be.  If you want BIG rolls divide it into 8).

Roll the dough into balls and flatten with your hand into circles.  Let the dough rise another hour or until they are puffy.

Preheat oven to 375.

Brush with egg wash (the reserved egg white and 1/4 cup water) beaten.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds or any other seeds you'd like.  If you don't want to add seeds you can brush melted butter on the tops.

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.

Let cool before slicing and ENJOY!






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love to cook. It is my passion.