background

Friday, March 15, 2013

homemade doughnuts..yum!

One of our family traditions is doughnuts for breakfast on Saturday morning.  It is SO expensive to buy them at the store, that I decided to try and make my own.  My kids GOBBLED these up faster than I could fry them.  I didn't even get a chance to get icing on them.  The only issue, they didn't care for them the next day though. So for us, I will make the dough and either leave in the fridge over night; or will form the doughnuts and freeze them, take them out to rise Saturday morning and then fry them.

1 tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon yeast 
1/4 cup water 
1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar 
3/4 teaspoon salt 
2 eggs 
1/4 cup butter 
3 3/4 cups flour 

  • Proof yeast by adding it to the warm water.  
  • Heat the milk in your microwave and let cool.
  • Combine yeast, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
  • Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
  • Carefully, stir in remaining flour until smooth.
  • Cover and let rise until double, 30-60 minutes.
  • After the dough has risen, turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
  • Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin.
  • Cut with floured doughnut cutter.  Separate donuts and holes, as they take different frying times 
  • Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 minutes. 


Heat oil to 350 and fry a few doughnuts at a time.  When they turn light brown flip carefully.





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love to cook. It is my passion.