background

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Beer Battered Fish


2 lbs of white fish-see note 
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 teaspoon favorite seasonings (I used a fish seasoning that had garlic, red pepper and lemon flakes) 
1 12 oz bottle beer
salt and pepper

In a small mixing bowl whisk together the flour, corn starch, seasoning, salt and pepper. Slowly add the beer and whisk until smooth. The mix should look like thick pancake batter.

In a deep fryer heat the oil to 350 degrees**. Season the fish with salt and pepper, dip the fish strips into the batter and carefully place in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes on each side. If your basket has holes in it like mine does...you might have to loosen the batter from underneath to get fish loose. Those are yummy tidbits to tide you over. ***if you don't have a deep fat fryer, you can heat about 2 inches of oil in a skillet to 350 degrees and fry them that way...about 3 minutes on each side.




NOTE:
I used Swai.  It is like catfish..a bottom feeder from Vietnam.  People have expressed concern about whether or not it is healthy but I have found many more people that have not had any problems with it.  I got a 2 pound bag for around $5 at Walmart. I am NOT a big fish fan.  If there is even a little bit of fishiness to it...I can't eat it.  This wasn't fishy at all but it was a different texture than I like. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.  The beer batter was a recipe I found for fish tacos and I LOVED the taste of the batter. Next time I might have to splurge and buy Halibut. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love to cook. It is my passion.