Russian Teacakes (makes 3 dozen)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cream cheese **see note**
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended.
- Mix in the chopped walnuts.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven.
- When cooled enough to touch, roll in remaining confectioners' sugar. Let cool and roll a second time.
I had to add some water to make them stick together
You can also use 1 cup of butter if you don't like cream cheese.
I put the chopped walnuts in a teflon saute pan and toasted them. Watch them so they don't burn.
I also like to roll mine in the sugar a second time.