background

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I have always heard about the "whoopie pie". When I went to New England for Thanksgiving, I tasted my first whoopie pie.  It was ok.  I do love cakes with whipped cream filling but it wasn't what I expected.  So today I found on the Libby page a recipe for mini pumpkin whoopie pies.  So that is going to be one of my recipes to try out this week.


Here's the recipe and I'll post pictures and comments after I've made them!


Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


Ingredients for Cookies:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling:
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Directions:
For the Cookies:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  • Lightly grease or line four baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in medium bowl. 
  • Beat butter and sugar in large mixer bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes. 
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  • Add pumpkin and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. 
  • Stir in flour mixture until combined. 
  • Drop by heaping measuring teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets. 
  • (A total of 72 cookies are needed for the recipe.)
  • Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until springy to the touch. 
  • Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
For cream cheese filling: 
  • Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl on medium speed until fluffy. 
  • Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling onto flat side of one cookie; top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich. 
  • Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. 
Store in covered container in refrigerator.


so here's what the pumpkin whoopie cushions look like :-)  The texture is a little rubbery but not too much
 no I didn't bite that one...when I took it off the cookie sheet I squeezed it too hard :-)

my sweet little clams filled with yummy goodness...
  




Coming up next on my recipe adventures - Mini Tollhouse Whoopie Pies

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love to cook. It is my passion.

Blog Archive